Monday, September 10, 2012

Farewell talk

September 12th 2012


Missionary work is an amazing part of the LDS church in these days. Young men and young women leave their homes to serve their lord in foreign lands all the while growing closer to their savior than they have ever been before. Missionaries change lives as they represent Jesus Christ. My mother recently put up a quote in the front room that says “A missionary leaves his family for two years so that others may have their families for eternity”. While it seems that it is solely the duty of young missionaries to preach the gospel. That is not so. President David O. McKay made it very clear that every member is responsible for the spreading of the gospel.


David O. McKay
            If I were to burrow in definite terms two of the most potent convictions in the hearts of the Latter-day Saints, I would name: First, an abiding assurance that the gospel, as taught by the Redeemer when he lived among men and which was later modified, changed and corrupted by men, has been restored by the Redeemer in its purity and fullness; and second, following naturally the first, a conviction in the heart of every member of this Church that the responsibility rests upon the membership of the Church to preach the restored gospel to every nation, kindred, tongue and people.
           
There are many different ways to be a member missionary. You can just share with people that you meet throughout the day, or you can carry book of Mormons around and try to give them out, but that is more of a full time missionary thing. The best way I can think of as an everyday member is to live your life the way the savior did. Treat everyone with the respect the savior did and live your life in a way that you are seen as an example to others. If you are happy and respect others no matter who they are some will often wonder “how is he/she always so happy and kind to others” or “what does he/she have that I do not” this will spark interest in the church and provide an opportunity to share the joy you find in living the teachings of the savior. One experience I had of this was when I was waiting tables in Jacob Lake. It came down to my last table of the shift. I was bussing some tables that I had fallen behind on while it was busy.
The family that was sitting at my table motioned for me to come talk to them. I thought that they were just going to ask me for a to-go box. Instead the mother said to me “there is something different about everyone that works here. I’ve never seen a group of college age kids that are so well groomed and so happy. What is it?” In return I told her “Well we are all members of the lds church” She asked another question “What do you believe in?” I stopped to think about that for a second. My first thoughts were to tell her about Joseph Smith. But what came out of my mouth was completely different. I told her “we believe that Jesus Christ came to earth and atoned for our sins. And we believe the book of Mormon to be the word of god and that it goes hand in hand with the Bible.”  Her interest grew and she told me she would like to learn more. I asked her to wait there and another person that I worked with went to go grab a book of Mormon for me and I was able to give that family a book of Mormon. I have no way of knowing if they ever read it. I have no way of knowing if it even made a difference in their lives. But I was able to be a member missionary when I least expected it. I ask all of you to be ready to share your beliefs at all times.
            As President David O McKay said “The world is hungry to hear the truth as never before in its history. We have it. Are we equal to the task—to the responsibility God has placed upon us?”

            Another aspect of missionary work is service. Missionaries don’t only go around knocking on doors. They are always looking for a way to help someone. “For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it” (Matthew 16:24–25. There are endless opportunities to serve others. From helping someone carry their groceries in to volunteering in the community there are ways to serve all around.  When Jesus had his ministry on the earth he spent his time serving. He healed the sick, raised the dead, and ministered to the lowly of heart. We don’t have to be able to heal the sick or raise the dead to serve as Jesus did. All we have to do is pray to have an eye single to the glory of god so that we may see those that stand in need of our time. Being a member missionary dose not only mean to preach the gospel it means to serve others.
            Elder Eyring told a story about service that I would like to share with you
               
                The Teton Dam burst on Saturday, June 5, 1976. Eleven people were killed. Thousands had to leave their homes in a few hours. Some homes were washed away. And hundreds of dwellings could be made habitable only through effort and means far beyond that of the owners.
Those who heard of the tragedy felt sympathy, and some felt the call to do good. Neighbors, bishops, Relief Society presidents, quorum leaders, home teachers, and visiting teachers left homes and jobs to clean out the flooded houses of others.
One couple returned to Rexburg from a vacation just after the flood. They didn’t go to see their own house. Instead, they found their bishop to ask where they could help. He directed them to a family in need.
After a few days they went to check on their home. It was gone, swept away in the flood. They simply walked back to the bishop and asked, “Now what would you like us to do?”
Wherever you live, you have seen that miracle of sympathy turned to unselfish action. It may not have been in the wake of a great natural disaster.
            This couple is a perfect example of selfless service. When they were faced with their own problems they didn’t stop and say to themselves “how are we going to get through this” or “who is going to help us” instead they went straight back to helping others.

            As important it is to serve and to share your testimony, it is more important to first have love for your fellow man. Jesus listed love for your fellow man as one of the greatest commandments.

In mark 12:28 we read

            And one of the scribes came, and having heard them reasoning together, and perceiving that he had answered them well, asked him, Which is the first commandment of all?  And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments  And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.  And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.
            This passage has always been one of my favorite. When you really think about and dig into this scripture you find that god wants us to grow closer to him, and he wants us to grow closer to our brothers and sisters.  
            This is the most important of Christ’s teachings. If we can learn to love others the way we love ourselves we will in turn be more willing to serve. This is a Christ like attribute I pray to have while I serve in Italy. The ability to love my neighbor will strengthen my testimony as I spread the gospel and serve my fellow man. Christ lived his teachings, he loved all, unconditionally. He loved the lepers, he loved his apostles, he even loved those that condemned him to death. My favorite hymn expresses my exact feelings I have about the saviors atoning sacrifice. My grandfather had a tumor in his brain that was removed. The surgery left him a shell of what he used to be. After his surgery some of the only coherent words he could say were the words of this song. Ever since I heard my grandfather singing this there has been a very special place in my heart for it. Hymn #193 I stand all amazed.  
I stand all amazed at the love Jesus offers me, confused at the grace that so fully he proffers me, I tremble to know that for me he was crucified, that for me a sinner he suffered he bled and died.
            Even a man who had been crippled in his mind and his body remembered the great love his redeemer had for him. He remembered the price that was paid so that he could be whole once more. That helps me whenever I get down, or feel insignificant. I think of the love that the savior has for my grandfather and my grandfathers’ knowledge of that love.

            In closing, we can all be latter day missionaries where we live. We just have to have a testimony of the restored gospel, be willing to serve, and to love others the way the savior loves us.

            I would like to leave you with my testimony, but not in a way that most future missionaries do. In Italian, don’t worry I will translate it into English when I am done.


            Io so che Gesu Cristo vive e che guida la chiesa attraverso un profeta vivente, Thomas S. Monson.  Io so che Gesu ha restaurato la sua chiesa, sulla terra, tramite il profeta Joseph Smith.  Io so che Il libro di Mormon e la parola di Dio.  Io l’ho letto e ho pregato e ho capito da me stesso che e vero.  E tanto tempo che sentivo che sarei stato chiamato a servire in Italia.  Voi potete chiedere i miei amici che ho predetto questo da tanti anni prima.  Ancora prima di aprire la chiamata, lo Spirito mi aveva detto che avrei servito in Italia.  Io so che sto andando al’Italia per uno scopo, non perche sia bello di andare la o perche la famiglia di mio padre e Italiana.  E perche Io ho promesso ad alcune persone nella vita premortale che le avrei trovate.  Io conosco la gioia che possiamo trovare tramite l’espiazione.  Sia per il pentimento o per le prove dure della vita, io vi prometto che troveremo conforto e perdono dal nostro Salvatore Gesu Cristo.

Dico queste cose nel nome di Gesu Cristo amen.

             I know that Jesus lives and guides the church through Thomas S Monson a living prophet. I know that he restored his church on the earth through his prophet Joseph Smith. I know the book of mormon to be the word of god. I have read it and prayed about it and have found for myself that it is true. I’ve known for a long time that I was going to be called to Italy. You can ask any of my friends I’ve been calling that for years. I had been told by the spirit that I would be serving in Italy before I opened my call.  I know that I am being sent to Italy for a reason, it’s not because it’s cool, or because my dad’s side of the family is Italian. It’s because I promised people before this life that I would find them.  I know the joy you can find through the atonement. Whether it is for repentance or you are going through the harsh trials of life I promise there is comfort and forgiveness to be found from Jesus Christ.
I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ Amen.        

No comments:

Post a Comment